From The Random House College Dictionary
1. a dish of diced or chopped meat, as of leftover corned beef, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables sautéed in a frying pan or of meat, potatoes, and carrots cooked together in gravy.
2. a mess, jumble, or muddle.
- hash2, n., Slang. hashish. [by shortening] See note below
- hash house, Slang. a cheap short-order restaurant.
1. a person or thing that harries.
2. any of several accipitrine hawks of the genus Circus that hunt over meadows and marshes.
1. one of a breed of medium sized hounds, used, usually in packs in hunting [rabbits].
2. a cross-country runner. [special use of HARRIER2, by assoc. with HARE AND HOUNDS]
- hare and hounds, an outdoor game in which certain players, the hares, start off in advance on a long run, scattering small pieces of paper, called the scent, with other players, the hounds, following the trail so marked in an effort to catch the hares before the reach a designated point.